Tuesdays with Dorie: Dorie's Anytime Cakes - Corn Toasties
The sixth recipe I made with the Tuesdays with Dorie: Dorie’s Anytime Cakes group is Corn Toasties and can be found in Dorie Greenspan’s newest cookbook, Dorie’s Anytime Cakes on page 241.
Ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, eggs, buttermilk, butter, olive oil, and honey.
Well, it’s that time of year when televised college football games determine the timing of meals around here. I have long ago given up trying to figure out who is watching what when to figure out a plan for everyone to sit down to eat together so the chili pot comes back into play on weekends as chili is easy, gets even better with reheating, and can be scooped and served by anyone anytime. Where there is chili, there is usually cornbread.
This recipe for Corn Toasties seemed like a natural fit as they are a larger flatter version of a cornbread muffin, measuring maybe an inch tall. I don’t have a jumbo muffin tin as was suggested, but I do have a hamburger bun pan and that worked out great as it produced the large, flat, one-inch muffin described. The taste was as you would think a cornbread muffin would taste, so nothing terribly new or outstanding, but quite nice with a bowl of chili.
We also split them in half to make cheese and ham sandwiches and those were also quite nice. Would I make Corn Toasties again? Definitely, they were easy, quick, and the slightly crunchy tops and bottoms were a hit.
If you would like to join in, just make it, bake it, and leave a link to your post at the Tuesdays with Dorie website. At the website you will find the postings for the current recipe, the list of recipes chosen each month, and some baking chit chat that is definitely helpful as well as fun. We don’t publish Dorie's recipes here, but you can buy the book and have them ALL at your fingertips.


I think yours turned out exactly like they were suppose to!! Mine were more like big cornbread muffins hahaha. Great job and welcome back…missed you!
ReplyDeleteOh, that is so sweet of you to say...I saw yours and they looked delicious!
Delete